The continuing chronicle of Wesley's quest to be published; plus comments on popular culture, family life, and whatever else falls out of his head.

Friday, March 18, 2005

Mogollon

I am really loving National Geographic. I've been getting NG Adventure and NG Traveller for years now, and when my wife had the opportunity to get a discounted subcription to the flagship title for me, she did.

Boy am I happy she did, too. This is just one great magazine. I never really realized that the quality of the writing and the stories would be so high.

And it's a GREAT place to come up with ideas for stories. They explore so many different cultures and ideas every month that can be altered or used for fantasy or sci-fi. And little things that can be used for individual characters that I would never come up with on my own with my provincial, US mindset.

Sometimes it's just a word, like 'Mogollon.' I found that while reading a profile of an archeologist who believes that the Anasazi were actually the Aztecs migrating north. Mogollon was made in an off-hand reference to a small pre-historic society, but to me, that sounds like the perfect name for a barbarian king, a la Conan.

I just wish I had more time to read it. Too busy working around the house. But that's another rant for another time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home