The continuing chronicle of Wesley's quest to be published; plus comments on popular culture, family life, and whatever else falls out of his head.

Monday, February 14, 2005

4.8

So, I'm working on getting in shape for the big triathlon in a couple of months. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I work on the treadmill and stationary bike, and on Thursdays and Fridays I work on the elliptical machines and rowers. And I've been following the instructions I've read in books to start slowly and increase your workout by 10% each week. Since it's currently too cold to run on a regular basis right now, I can't increase my mileage by 10%, I've been increasing my speed by 10% instead, until I get up to 10-minute miles. That's six miles per hour.

Today I got up to 4.8, and it nearly killed me. For the first time, I had to hold onto the guide bar just to keep moving.

I'm not going to lie. It wasn't fun, but I think I can keep it going for the rest of the week. Fortunately, I had already planned to plateau at 5mph next week, for a couple of weeks, and focus on building strength by increasing the elevation instead of the speed. Maybe that's what I should have been doing since the beginning, but what're you going to do?

And, of course, I did feel better afterwards, once I had gotten my breath back. But I continued to sweat for about an hour.

Once I can legitimately get myself to 6mph and an incline of 6.0, I will be very, very happy. But, I think I may be even happier once I can run on the road instead, and just concentrate on putting the miles behind me instead of focusing on a speed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home