The continuing chronicle of Wesley's quest to be published; plus comments on popular culture, family life, and whatever else falls out of his head.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Nobody Likes a Good Teacher.

A lot of stuff happened this weekend. Enough that I didn't have the opportunity to get it all down as it was happening. This is going to be the first of several posts, just playing catch up.

***

First things first: The study I led Friday night went well, even if it was a smaller group than usual. We just barely had a quorum, and we only had three women there (which is ironic--when we have a smaller than usual group, it's usually the men who are absent, at least in my experience), so we just ended the session after the lesson, instead of breaking into our different groups. We still didn't get home until after 11pm.

I don't know why it bugs me if there's a small turnout when I'm teaching, but it does. I am personally disappointed, because I work really hard on those lessons, especially this last one, and it's just a letdown when I only have 7-8 people with which to share what I've learned instead of the full 18. I know that it's not up to me to choose who to lead each session, but to lead those whom God has given me that week. But still, it seems to happen to me more often than the other guys, and the excuses are just lame: "We have to clean the house for a party tomorrow," "My parents are coming in and I have to entertain them tonight," "We're just not coming." Maybe this is petty of me, but don't those excuses sound awfully, I don't know, selfish? We had Carrie's sister that weekend, and we told her coming in that we had a prior engagement (a couple, actually), and that she would have to entertain herself.Carrie even told me that one couple in the group never even bothered to pick up the last study book we used. It just seems like they're calling themselves away from fellowship because they're afraid to be challenged. It's a problem that a lot of people in our church seem to have, but it seems especially hypocritical among our friends, that they pay an amount of lip-service to God, to the worship experience, but really don't want to be challenged on their beliefs. On the other hand, maybe I'm just being prideful by wanting other people to hear what I have to say. I don't know.

Am I wrong to be bothered by that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home