The continuing chronicle of Wesley's quest to be published; plus comments on popular culture, family life, and whatever else falls out of his head.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

REVIEW: Serenity



Note to Self: Don't buy any more pay-per-view movies until they start airing them in HD Widescreen.

Finally saw Serenity the other day. Never got around to it at the theatres (see also, Rent), so after the wife went to bed, I ordered it off of pay-per-view.

Ignoring for a moment the fact that I loathe with an unbridled passion movies cropped for the full screen (Note to Self: Don't buy any more pay-per-view movies until they start airing them in HD Widescreen), I was really disappointed in Serenity. Maybe that's because I got my hopes up, but I literally dosed off somewhere in the middle. That's how bored I was.

My main problem with Serenity was the same one I had with the first few Harry Potter movie adaptions: It assumes the audience was familiar with the story from the TV series (or, in Harry Potter's case, the original books). To fully enjoy Serenity, you have to have watched and enjoyed Firefly.

I enjoyed the few episodes of "Firefly" that I saw, but I got the feeling that this storyline would have been better suited to that format.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home