The continuing chronicle of Wesley's quest to be published; plus comments on popular culture, family life, and whatever else falls out of his head.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I work downtown. Sometimes, at 10 AM, the church across the street begins tolling their bell for 15 minutes.

When I first started hearing them, I didn't know what they were for, but I soon learned that the church tolls its bell for the passing of the dead of important people (like Ronald Reagan), disasters (9/11--that was especially poignant because all the downtown churches tolled one time for every person dead or unrecovered from the attack... the tolling lasted all day), and executed convicts.

Today it was for a man convicted for raping and killing two women 20 years ago in Akron. It takes me about five minutes before I even noticed the tolling anymore.


Man Who Raped, Killed 2 Women To Be Executed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home