The continuing chronicle of Wesley's quest to be published; plus comments on popular culture, family life, and whatever else falls out of his head.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

REVIEW: Writer's Book of Matches



I saw this book a couple of months ago, but I haven't had the chance to pick it up until yesterday.

In a nutshell (pardon the pun--the book was written by the editors of the startup literary journal, "Fresh Boiled Peanuts"), The Writer's Book of Matches is just a collection of writer's prompts: simple one- or two-sentence ideas meant to prime the creative pump of the writer. Over a thousand, actually. According to the introduction, there are enough prompts to do one a day every day for over three years.

I could make excuses about why I don't write every day. I could talk about how remodeling the house is a full-time job unto itself, or that I've been spending a lot of time recently nailing things down for our trip in a couple of weeks. But the fact of the matter is that I have difficulty putting my butt in the chair and words on the page. Hopefully the prompts in this book will help me deal with that. In fact, I've considered starting another blog for the prompts: one a day, with exactly 1,000 words. No more, no less; just to see what I could do.

And it references the administrator of Absolute Write, my new favorite writer's place on the web, Jenna Glatzer. I'll have to toddle over there and see what AWers think of the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home