The continuing chronicle of Wesley's quest to be published; plus comments on popular culture, family life, and whatever else falls out of his head.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Threshold

As I get older, I continue to notice my reading tastes changing. When I was a teenager, I was all about the fantasy and super-heroes. I'm still into that, but now I think I actually enjoy the mysteries, crime novels and thrillers more.

But, more importantly, I've recently come to an epiphany: regardless of which genre, the time I spend the first time I crack open a book really defines how much I'm going to enjoy it, or even if I'm going to finish it. With ever more limited amounts of time to devote to pleasure reading, I find myself putting down more and more books without finishing them. But if I am able to dedicate two hours or more, I am much more easily able to be drawn in by the characters and the plot, the style and pace, and thusly much more likely to enjoy and finish the book.

This bears further investigation. I'm going to try and see if I can dedicate two hours--not at bedtime--to read the next several books I try, and see if it makes any difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home