The continuing chronicle of Wesley's quest to be published; plus comments on popular culture, family life, and whatever else falls out of his head.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Yay me...

Got this in the ol' e-mail today:
Dear Wesley;
I read your query with interest and would like to review your work. Please send a synopsis and complete manuscript to the address listed below.
Thank you for submitting to the Blankety Blank Agency
A request from an agent to look at the entire manuscript of Unlicensed Magic.

I guess I should be more excited about it than I am. I am excited, but when it comes to stuff like this, I tend to get overly cautious about the next step because the only other option is total and complete panic. And that wouldn't be great for business either. So the next steps are as follows:
  1. Put together the submission package for Blankety Blank.
  2. Notify the two agencies that requested partials that there is a third party who is reviewing the entire thing.

Ironically, I'll first have to remind the two other agencies who I am. One has had a partial since last August, and the other has had it literally since November 2004. Which got me to thinking: How devious would it be to bypass the query stage and submit your partial or full manuscript as a follow-up? "As you requested, here are the first 5 chapters of 'Reagan Goes Commando.' Please let me know what you think, and I hope to hear from you soon." Or, "At your request, I sent you the full manuscript of 'Brokeback Leather Chair' four months ago. Please let me know the status of the manuscript." One one hand, you would think that literary agents would keep better records than that.

On the other hand, Kristin Nelson, over at her blog, just said she went through 150 queries while watching the Olympics Friday night, with 700 electronic queries waiting in her e-mail.

If I didn't risk having every literary agent in the US ticked at me, I might even try it.




...someone asked for a full manuscript...

yay me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home