The continuing chronicle of Wesley's quest to be published; plus comments on popular culture, family life, and whatever else falls out of his head.

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Sing a Song

One of the great things about my XM Radio is that there are so many stations that you get to hear songs you've never heard or haven't heard in so long that you forgot you knew them in the first place.

I like to listen to it when I'm mowing the lawn on Saturdays. The signal isn't strong enough to make it through the entire 2-acre yard, but I can certainly make it to the barn before the signal cuts out.

This morning I was listening to the XM when I heard Sing a Song by the Carpenters come on. It was originally recorded for Sesame Street in the early seventies, but proved so popular it was released as a single in 1973 (There were a couple of other songs that made that jump: (It's Not Easy) Bein' Green and Rubber Duckie).

The song was one of my favorites growing up. It's simple and beautiful. As I was mowing the lawn, I thought about sharing that song with my children, as a lullaby, and it made me cry. Pulling up the lyrics just now found me a site with an mpeg playing it, and I started crying again.

This is a song I want to share with my kids.

Sing, sing a song
Sing out loud
Sing out strong
Sing of good things not bad
Sing of happy not sad.

Sing, sing a song
Make it simple to last
Your whole life long
Don't worry that it's not
Good enough for anyone
Else to hear
Just sing, sing a song.

Sing, sing a song
Let the world sing along
Sing of love there could be
Sing for you and for me.

Sing, sing a song
Make it simple to last
Your whole life
long
Don't worry that it's not
Good enough for anyone
Else to hear
Just sing, sing a song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home