The continuing chronicle of Wesley's quest to be published; plus comments on popular culture, family life, and whatever else falls out of his head.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Traveler

So, I haven't finished the most recent issue of National Geogrphic Traveler, but I've finished most of it, and I've come to a realization:

I don't really enjoy it much anymore.

When I first started buying the magazine on a regular basis, it was because of all the first-person narratives and experiences in exotic places. They still have that, but more and more they seem to focus on the nuts and bolts of vacationing--hotels, airlines, how to pack.

And the lists. I am getting so tired of the lists. Both NG Traveler and NG Adventure have started running these ridiculous cover "articles" like "20 Things to Do in Denver Before You're Dead," "35 Trip You MUST Take This Summer." Basically, long lists of single paragraph blurbs outlining places in such vague detail as to render them useless.

But all is not lost. There were three feature articles in this issue and some smaller columns in the back that were first-person narratives. They engaged and inspired me.

I just don't know if they did enough of that to warrant the subscription.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home